Our records indicate that some companies have been responding to tickets incorrectly, using response code 3J –Unmarked: Extraordinary circumstances exist; contact the utility owner/operator directly for details, without first declaring Extraordinary Circumstances with Georgia 811. If you have not already done so, you must update your PRIS response on any ticket on which you have used 3J. As of 4:30 PM on Friday, March 12, 2021, this code will be deactivated. Response code 3J will no longer be available for your use until you officially declare Extraordinary Circumstances. Once you declare Extraordinary Circumstances with Georgia 811, the code will be reactivated.
Below are the steps to follow to use response code 3J for Extraordinary Circumstances.
- Meet the criteria for Extraordinary Circumstances as described in the Georgia Utility Facility Protection Act (GUFPA).
- 25-9-3. Definitions(14) “Extraordinary circumstances” means circumstances other than normal operating conditions which exist and make it impractical or impossible for a facility owner or operator to comply with the provisions of this chapter. Such extraordinary circumstances may include, but shall not be limited to, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, ice, and snow, and acts of God.
- Notify Georgia 811 by completing the form located under Extraordinary Circumstances on the Member Tab of Georgia811.com.
- Respond to all applicable incoming tickets in PRIS with response code 3J.
- Locate your facilities on all tickets to which you responded with response code 3J once the Extraordinary Circumstance has passed.
- Update all 3J codes in PRIS to the new applicable response code.
If you have any questions, please contact Customer Connections at CustomerConnections@Georgia811.com or 770.623.5786.